LOOKING IN THE SQUARE

A PICTURE RECORDS A MOMENT IN TIME. It will never return, but we have the picture to cherish

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sunset at Petone Beach
Petone is a small town, now a suburb of Lower Hutt, and is located across the harbour from Wellington City metropolitan area. During our recent holiday in Wellington we stayed in a motel in Petone, just beside the Petone Beach.

In this photo the sun is setting over the western hills surrounding the harbour, and in the gloam you can see the outline of the Petone Wharf, now rarely used by ships and mostly used by recreational fishermen. There used to be an abattoir in Petone and the wharf may once have been used to load meat aboard ships for export, or distribution around the New Zealand coast. I don't really know its history. Click picture to enlarge.

10 comments:

MG/BG said...

I like a sunset :) and I like you photo.

Grettnigs from Poland :)
www.kyodays.blogspot.com

Dave said...

Hi MG. Thanks for your comment. Regards, Dave

alex said...

nice photo.. the sunset capture so beautiful..

Edina MN Realty
Minnesota Real Estate
Local Internet Marketing
Gift Baskets
baby gift baskets
Christmas Gift Baskets

Dave said...

Thanks Alex - Dave

THOPPIL'S said...

Nice pic. Every sunset gives one day for hope.

Dave said...

THOPPIL'S, thanks. Yes, that's right - Dave

Pyjama Gardener said...

Dave, I have had you and your family in my thoughts in this time of tragedy in NZ. I can only hope that you and your loved ones are uneffectd by the devastating earthquakes in Christchurch. What a beautiful city shattered and such sad loss of life.

I have wonderful memories of Christchurch some 6 years ago where my husband and I honeymooned and feel saddened by the shocks of the quakes over the past 5 months.

Dave said...

Hi PG. Thanks for that. Yes, we are safe as we live in Hamilton, near Auckland in the North Island. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Christchurch. - Dave

Dan's One a Day Photo said...

I like this!

Dave said...

Thanks Dan - Dave

Pages

Welcome to my No. 2 blog. Please feel free to comment or join as a follower.







My No.1 blog is at cimba7200.blogspot.co.nz

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
I live in Hamilton, the largest inland city in New Zealand, stretching across both sides of the Waikato River in the North Island, south of Auckland. Visit my other blog at: http://cimba7200.blogspot.com

Kiwiblogs

Sitemeter

Powered By Blogger

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered by Blogger.