LOOKING IN THE SQUARE

A PICTURE RECORDS A MOMENT IN TIME. It will never return, but we have the picture to cherish

Sunday, November 8, 2009

New Zealand Pukeko This bird is a New Zealand native wading bird called the pukeko (pronounced poo-kek-oh). These birds are quite plentiful around the Hamilton Lake where they wade in the mud and also compete with the ducks for food when being fed by the public. In Hamilton I don't recall seeing them fly, but having travelled to other towns I have seen them fly and have even seen them roosting in trees. They appear to be a strange bird but I like them, with their red 'caps' and big brown eyes. They are non-aggressive and can even be friendly if you have a morsell of food to offer them. Click the picture to enlarge. They make nests in the lake reeds and raise their young there.

No comments:

Pages

Welcome to my No. 2 blog. Please feel free to comment or join as a follower.







My No.1 blog is at cimba7200.blogspot.co.nz

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
I live in Hamilton, the largest inland city in New Zealand, stretching across both sides of the Waikato River in the North Island, south of Auckland. Visit my other blog at: http://cimba7200.blogspot.com

Kiwiblogs

Sitemeter

Powered By Blogger

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered by Blogger.